Governance & Compliance Officer
Motherwell | Clyde Valley Housing Association
£39,286 - £42,505
23rd September 2019, at Noon
Salary and Employment Details
Summary of Terms & Conditions of Service
Job Title: Senior Governance and Compliance Officer
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week with flexi-time
Pension: SHAPS defined contribution pension scheme (9.6% employer contribution)
Leave Entitlement: 25 days per annum, plus 15 days public holiday
Place of Work: 50 Scott Street
Salary Payment Date: 25th of each month
Non- contractual Benefits: Clyde Value, (our employee discount benefit scheme)
Use of pool cars
On site gym facility/bicycle use
Healthy Working Lives Accredited Employer
The purpose of the role of the Senior Governance and Compliance Officer within Clyde Valley Group is to ensure the Group meets its statutory and regulatory obligations in relation to Corporate Governance. To promote the development of a strong governance culture in respect of our role as a Registered Social Landlord and a Scottish Charity.
To work with the Executive Team and Governing Bodies on the governance arrangements of both Clyde Valley Housing Association and its subsidiary organisation (CVPS).
As a member of the Corporate Services Team you will provide first line management to colleagues who provide an effective corporate services function across CVG.
The following list is typical of the level of duties of which the post holder is expected to perform or be responsible for with on the job training and development provided. It is not necessarily exhaustive and other duties of a similar type and level may be expected from time to time. The post holder will be responsible for a combination of the objectives described below dependent on the requirements of the business.
Key Departmental Duties and Responsibilities:
• Preparing reporting cycles and co-ordination of meeting arrangements and the distribution of reports/documents to the Governing bodies within the Clyde Valley Group.
• Researching and providing reports and guidance on Regulatory and Governance standards to the Executive Management Team and Governing Bodies.
• Establishing and maintaining confidential recording systems for key decisions of the Governing Bodies and taking minutes of governing body and Management Team meetings where appropriate.
• Support, on a day-to-day basis, the corporate governance structure and decision making framework by ensuring all necessary information is provided in a timely manner and accurate files and records are maintained.
• Establishing and maintaining governance registers such as membership and office bearers.
• Monitoring performance against our standing orders and service level agreements for the members of the group.
• To prepare analysis, reports and returns for the Regulatory & Statutory Bodies in respect of the Governing Bodies.
• To research best practice, develop, produce, implement and review Governance policies and procedures and guides, where directed. Participate in the review of Governance policies and highlight any areas for consideration.
• To plan and manage the identification and assessment of Governing Body skills, experience and knowledge, identifying any gaps and the co-ordination and delivery of Governance Training.
• Produce training plans, and monitor training implementation plans as required by the Governing Bodies.
• Deliver or arrange governance training, induction and briefing sessions to Governing Body members and relevant staff.
• Prepare and monitor internal audit action plans on behalf of the Governing Bodies.
• Supporting the Director of Finance and Corporate Services with the internal audit function and liaison with the internal auditors.
• Prepare and manage allocated budgets relating to the provision of Governance advice, training and activities.
• To liaise with various external agencies and professionals on governance related matters including overseeing, monitoring and processing various returns.
• Assist the HR and Corporate Services Manager in ensuring that the decision making process is underpinned by robust, compliant and transparent governance administration.
• Manage the update of existing policies and the creation then implementation of new governance policies and procedures for CVG which adhere to and promote the organisations legislative agenda.
• Co-ordinate, develop and review relevant promotional activities, including event management and general publications and where required, assist the HR & Corporate Services manager with the development and implementation of the organisational communications strategy.
• Assist in arranging events for Clyde Valley Customers and/or staff/key stakeholders.
• To undertake tasks on behalf of the Company Secretary.
• Oversee the management of key corporate procurement contracts.
• Provide expert advice and guidance to CVG staff on procurement matters.
• Provide first line management to the Corporate Services Team.
• Be responsible for company subscriptions.
• Co-operate with the Board so far as is necessary to ensure compliance with duty or requirement imposed on CVG, or any other person, under any relevant statutory duties.
• Provide support to the HR & Corporate Services Manager in respect of any FOI and EIR requests and compliance with Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 and The Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004. Monitor ongoing compliance across the Group and ensure timely returns are made to the Commissioner.
• Ensure data is managed in accordance with the requirements of GDPR.
• Assist the HR and Corporate Services Manager with Requests for Information in line with GDPR regulations.
• Undertake relevant audits relating to the governance arrangements and data protection requirements. Freedom of Information and Environmental Information Reporting and maintain skills and knowledge and where required, to act as the departmental / organisational subject matter expert for CVG in these areas.
• Act as a primary point of contact for advice and guidance in relation to GDPR and FOISA.
• Line manage the Corporate Services Team.
• Provide a professional reception service, ensuring adherence to opening/closing times, effective housekeeping and implementation of customer care standards across the Group ensuring adequate cover is in place at all times.
• Ensure CVG offices are kept to a high standard at all times.
• Ensure adequate levels of PA support from the corporate team is provided to support to the Chief Executive as required.
• Any other reasonable duties as and when required by your line manager.
• Contribute to the implementation of the Corporate Social Responsibility and People Strategy.
• Comply at all times with the Health and Safety Policy and procedures and draw to their manager’s attention any unsafe working practice/conditions.
• Ensure reasonable steps are taken to safeguard the health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
• Attend such training courses, seminars, conferences and other learning and development events as the Association may require.
• Comply with Clyde Valley Group policies, procedures and financial regulations at all times.
• Continuous review and improvement to customer service standards and performance in relation to the corporate function.
• Attend external meetings representing CVG and promote the organisation where required.
• Ensure requests for information, reports and statistics are responded to within agreed timescales.
• Ensure data is accurately recorded and processed in line with Association policy and procedures.
• Assist in the development of a ’Continuous Improvement’ culture.
• Comply at all times with CVG’s procurement processes and ensure that the appropriate approvals have been granted for the expenditure in line with the financial regulations of the organisation.
• Contribute to budget spend and monitoring across the Group.
• Contribute to ad-hoc organisational wide workings groups, as required.
• Ensure the values of Clyde Valley Group are reflected in their work and that all services provided are delivered in line with the Vision, Mission and Values.
• Work as part of the Finance and Corporate Services Directorate providing first class customer service and support at all times.
• Create and maintain effective working relations with external contractors, external agencies and internal colleagues.
• Recognise and respect the diversity of internal and external customers and assist accordingly.
The job description is intended to provide an outline of the post of Senior Governance and Compliance Officer. The roles and responsibilities may alter due to changes in service delivery requirements, legislative changes, new technology or other external factors and thus, you may be required to carry out additional duties as allocated by the HR & Corporate Services Manager.