‘How 2’ find the right home in the right place – Housing Options Scotland tour starts in one week
Housing Options Scotland will be holding free drop in events all over the country to give housing information, advice and support to disabled people, older people, disabled veterans and those who support them.
Housing Options Scotland was established in 1997 to provide a unique public access service to all disabled people throughout Scotland. Their main aim is to ensure that disabled people, veterans and older people can access the right home for them.
Moira Bayne, CEO of Housing Options Scotland says: “We are delighted to be touring Scotland for the third year in a row. Older people, disabled people/families, disabled veterans and their carers, will have the opportunity to learn about the housing options open to them.
“They will be able to speak face-to-face about their situation with trained professionals and engage with our trained peer support volunteers who have themselves been through the journey of trying to find the right house in the right place.
“They will also have the opportunity to speak to local and national organisations who work with disabled people, older people, disabled veterans and those who support them.”
Housing Options Scotland has helped thousands of people since its creation in 1997. Amongst these was Margaret Follon, who contacted the organisation in 2011 seeking help with her housing situation as she was stuck in hospital after needing major surgery on her spine.
Margaret remembers: “After 9 months in hospital I was facing the prospect of being discharged to my third storey tenement flat with no prospect of returning to work. HOS helped me find the accessible bungalow I now live in which enabled me to return to work for 4 years and enjoy my retirement living a fully independent life.” Today as Chair of the organisation, she wants to help others by sharing her experience and showing them that accessible housing is available to anyone.
Click on one of the links below to find out more about an event in your area and to book yourself a free place:
- Dundee, 17th July, Menzieshill Community Centre, 12pm to 5pm
- Perth, 19th July, St Matthews Church, 10am to 3pm
- Aberdeen, 24th July, Sheddocksley Baptist Church, 10am to 3pm
- Elgin, 26th July, The Mansefield Hotel, 10am to 3pm
- Falkirk, 31st July, Falkirk Trinity Church, 10am to 3pm
- Greenock, 2nd August, Beacon Arts Centre, 10am to 3pm
- Thurso, 7th August, Caithness Horizons, 10am to 3pm
- Skye, 9th August, Aros Centre, Portree, 10am to 3pm
- Stranraer, 14th August, Ryan Centre, 10am to 3pm
- Galashiels, 16th August, Langlee Community Centre, 10am to 3pm