Affordable Housing in Midlothian
Midlothian Council have approved plans to deliver 1,441 new affordable homes, 65% of which will be delivered by RSLs.
Midlothian Council leaders have approved plans to deliver 1,441 new affordable homes through the Strategic Housing Investment Plan 2017/18-2021/22 (SHIP).
This is a significant increase in developments from the previous SHIP which identified the development of 672 units 2015-16-2019/20. The increase comes on the back of a Scottish Government announcement to increase the housing budget in the country to £3billion and raise the level of funding allocated to each unit.
Midlothian Council has also committed to a third phase of new council housing development and the SHIP has identified 47 sites for affordable housing across a range of tenures:
• 475 new Council housing
• 30 units bought on the open market and rented as council housing
• 598 units will be RSL Social Rented housing
• 245 units will be RSL Mid Market rent
• 93 units will be RSL Shared Equity
• 115 units built as specialist provisions, such as Extra Care Housing
Councillor Kelly Parry, cabinet member with responsibility for housing said