SFHA responds to Scottish House Condition Survey, calling for action to end fuel poverty
For immediate release: Tuesday 5 December 2017
The Scottish Federation of Housing Associations (SFHA) has responded to the fuel poverty statistics revealed in today’s Scottish House Condition Survey (SHCS) report by calling on the Scottish Government to take concerted action to eliminate fuel poverty.
The statistics show that the overall level of fuel poverty amongst Scottish households is down about four percentage points and is now at 26.5%. Housing associations have the most energy efficient stock by tenure and their overall fuel poverty level has decreased by 0.5%. However, at 27%, there are more housing association households in fuel poverty compared to the national average (26.5%).
These statistics come as the Scottish Government consults on proposals for a new fuel poverty strategy. The publication of the new draft strategy follows a failure to meet a previous target to end fuel poverty by November 2016.
Sarah Boyack, SFHA Head of Public Affairs, said:
“While we welcome the decrease in fuel poverty levels, they still remain unacceptably high. It is particularly concerning that the percentage of housing association households in fuel poverty is higher than the overall national average, despite their housing being the most energy efficient. The figures demonstrate that social landlords need more support to further improve the energy efficiency of their stock in order to help their tenants who are on lower incomes and therefore more vulnerable to fuel poverty.
“These latest figures should act as a wake-up call, with more than a quarter of households in Scotland still in fuel poverty. We are calling on the Scottish Government to increase its funding for fuel poverty schemes to support investment in home energy efficiency, micro-renewables, and energy advice for households struggling with fuel bills.
“These figures are timely as they come a week before the Scottish Government unveils its draft budget for 2018–19 and with a consultation open on a new Fuel Poverty Strategy for Scotland. The government must take this opportunity to ramp up investment to eliminate fuel poverty once and for all.”
For further information, please contact SFHA Media Adviser Kirsten Walker on t: 0141 567 6221 m: 0788 788 8348 email: email@example.com
Visit our website at www.sfha.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/SFHA.HousingScotland
- The Scottish Federation of Housing Associations (SFHA) was established in 1975 and has around 116 members providing affordable housing and wider community services across Scotland, as well as a further 200 commercial associates. The SFHA is owned and governed by its members and exists to lead, represent and support the work of housing associations and co-operatives throughout Scotland
- The SFHA is the voice of housing associations and co-operatives in Scotland. SFHA members own and manage 80% of the 280,000+ housing association stock across Scotland. Together, housing associations and co-operatives provide housing for almost 500,000 people, which is one in every 11 households.
- Over 11,000 staff are employed by SFHA members across Scotland.
- Housing associations and co-operatives are not-for-profit bodies regulated by the Scottish Housing Regulator.